Memorial Day Weekend is finally here, and time to gather together to honor those that gave their lives for our country via parades, picnics and other celebrations. It’s also the start of the summer season and calls for the perfect cocktail. Here are nine we like for this year.
Summer Whisky Buck
- 1 ¼ oz. Buchanan’s DeLuxe Scotch whisky
- 1 oz. Lemon juice
- ½ oz. Triple Sec
- ½ oz. Peach jam or favorite flavor of jam; 1:1 ratio of jam to hot water, mixed and cooled
- Top with ginger ale
- Fill a 14-oz. highball glass with ice.
- Pour in first four ingredients.
- Top with ginger ale and stir.
- Garnish with fresh peach slices and a bar spoonful of peach jam.
- Serve with a straw.
- 3 parts Flor de Caña 12 rum
- 1 part Lemon juice
- 2 tbsps. Sugar
- 4 Blackberries
- 2 parts Club soda or carbonated water
- Fresh peppermint leaves
- Add peppermint, berries, sugar and lemon to glass.
- Gently mash with a mortar.
- Add ice, followed by rum.
- Fill with club soda.
- Garnish with a sprig of peppermint
- 1 ½ oz. Italicus Rosolio di Bergamotto
- ¾ oz. Saint Germain elderflower liqueur
- 4 oz. Fiol prosecco
- Fill a wine glass with ice.
- Add ingredients one at a time.
- Top with prosecco and give it a quick stir.
- Garnish with a thyme bouquet.
Berry Independent Punch
- 1 ½ cups Nolet’s Silver gin
- ½ cup Chambord liqueur
- ½ cup Maraschino cherry liqueur
- 2 ½ cups Lemonade
- ¼-½ cup Simple syrup
- 1 cup Blackberries or blueberries
- 1 cup Strawberries
- 1 cup Raspberries
- Puree fruit in a blender and strain out solids or juice fresh berries in a juicer.
- Mix berry juice with gin, Chambord and maraschino liqueur with lemonade in a large pitcher or punchbowl.
- Taste for sweetness and adjust with simple syrup as needed.
- Add ice to the mixture.
- Serve over ice with fruit or floral garnish in a rocks glass.
- 2 oz. Iichiko Saiten shochu
- ¾ oz. Matcha syrup
- ½ oz. Lime juice
- ½ oz. Cucumber juice
- ¼ oz. Yuzu juice
- Cucumber slices for garnish
- Mix all ingredients into cocktail shaker with ice.
- Shake, then strain into rocks glass with ice.
- Garnish with cucumber slices.
High Desert Swizzle
- 1 ½ parts Del Maguey Vida Single Village mezcal
- ¾ parts Freshly squeezed lime juice
- ¾ parts Strawberry shrub
- ¼ parts Demerara syrup
- Combine the mezcal, lime juice, strawberry shrub and Demerara syrup in a highball glass.
- Fill it two-thirds of the way with crushed ice.
- Swizzle like you mean it so the glass frosts up.
- Add more crushed ice, rounding out the top.
- Garnish with a lime wheel.
- 1 ½ oz. G4 Reposado tequila
- ¼ oz. Dry orange Curaçao
- ¼ oz. Agave nectar/agave syrup
- ¾ oz. Fresh lime juice
- 3 oz. Watermelon soda Jarritos
- Pinch sea salt
- Rim half of one side of a 12-oz. rocks glass with tajin and set aside.
- In a cocktail shaker, add tequila, dry curaçao, agave nectar, lime juice, a pinch of sea salt, and ice.
- Shake vigorously for 20 seconds, and strain into a rimmed rocks glass.
- Carefully top with fresh ice without disturbing the tajin.
- Fill with Jarritos watermelon soda.
- Garnish with a lime wheel.