Ever since we launched Cheers@Home a few months ago (if you haven’t seen it yet, check out the Summer 2021 edition), we’ve been paying more attention to food recipes. The folks at Honey Salt in Las Vegas submitted this one for Cornmeal Fried Green Tomatoes for the 2021 Kentucky Derby.
Apparently, it’s a favorite of restaurant owner and Vegas socialite, Elizabeth Blau. We’ll drink to that—with a Ginger Peach Julep that Honey Salt designed to go with the Cornmeal Fried Green Tomatoes. Cheers!
Cornmeal Fried Green Tomatoes
- 2 Green tomatoes
- ¼ cup Cornmeal
- ¼ cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs beaten
- ½ cup All purpose flour
- Kosher salt
- Slice green tomatoes 1/2″ thick
- Dredge lightly in flour
- Wash in egg
- Mix panko and cornmeal and coat tomatoes evenly
- Set aside for frying
- Heat oil to 350F
- Fry breaded green tomatoes for about 1 minute (or until golden brown and crispy)
- Drain onto paper towel and season lightly with kosher salt
- Top with desired amount of pimento, garnish with dressed arugula and top with Fresno peppers
For pimento cheese, combine and chill: ½ cup Cream cheese,1 tbsp. Sour cream, ⅛ cup Cheddar cheese, chopped small, Dill pickle, diced, 1 tbsp. pickle juice, 1 tsp. chives, cut fine, and 1 tsp. Parsley, chopped. For garnish, combine ¼ cup Baby arugula, cleaned, ⅓ tsp. Lemon juice, 1 tsp. Olive oil and 8 Fresno pepper slices.