Celebrating French wine and “art de vivre,” luxury international hotel brand Sofitel has unveiled its annual Sofitel Wine Days events, which coincides with the traditional French harvest period.
This year, the luxury brand partnered with 2004 Worldwide Best Sommelier Enrico Bernardo to offer guests a wine experience from September 21 to October 31, 2015, in Sofitel hotels throughout the U.S. and Canada.
As the 2015 Sofitel Wine Days ambassador and spokesperson, Bernardo helped spearhead a two-part Sofitel “Art of Wine” study: wine perception around the world for 2015, and wine consumption in 2016.
The first part of the study was commissioned by the French Institute of Public Opinion (IFOP) and surveyed responses from seven countries including Australia, Brazil, China, France, India, Russia and U.S. Bernardo curated an editorial for the brand’s Sofitel Wine Days booklet available for guests in Sofitel hotels around the world.
Sofitel Wine Days celebrations include exclusive dinners with French winemakers to wine appreciation classes and wine-based cocktail nights.
Sofitel guests in New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Washington D.C., Philadelphia, Miami and Montreal will gain expert wine knowledge through an array of interactive events, the company says.
They can share their experiences with others on social media using #SofitelWineDays.
Activity highlights across the North American properties include:
- Sofitel New York celebrates with “From Grapes to Wines” self-education classes in Gaby Bar; a wine connoisseurs will be available to answer guest questions. From Sept. 22nd through Oct. 27th, the hotel will also host weekly “Wine Hours” every Tuesday from 5:00-6:00 p.m. for LeClub AccorHotels members in Gaby restaurant. Members will taste four wines from a specific region of the hotel’s choice, including North and South America, Europe, Australia and Africa. For more information, call Sofitel New York’s Gaby Restaurant at (212) 782-3040.
- Sofitel Los Angeles will kick off the series with an opening party on Monday, Sept. 28, as the official kick off to the month-long celebration. Throughout the duration of Wine Days, guests will experience weekly wine pairing menus that incorporate North American wines, Champagne and French wines at the hotel’s newly renovated restaurant, Estérel and garden patio, Le Jardin, with an excellent menu created by Executive Chef Victor Boroda. For more information, call Sofitel Los Angeles at Beverly Hills at (310) 278-5444.
- Sofitel Chicago will offer weekly Chestnut Provisions prix fixe menus at Café des Architectes and “White vs. Red” specials, which include an appetizer and a choice of French and American Chardonnay or Pinot Noir starting on Sept. 25. Guests are welcome to attend the “Meet the Artisans” event on Oct. 22, featuring Cigale and Chestnut Provisions, and join a Veuve Clicquot pop-up Champagne brunch on Oct. 25. The hotel will welcome guests with Champagne at check-in on every Friday from 4:00-6:00 p.m. For more information please contact Sofitel Chicago Water Tower at (312) 324-4000.
- Sofitel Washington, D.C. welcomes guests with a kickoff event featuring Brocard Chablis wine tastings on Sept. 21. The hotel will host additional events throughout Wine Days including a Veuve Clicquot Champagne dinner on Oct. 7, and a Valrhona wine pairing class on Oct. 17. Guests can also partake in ongoing wine and cheese happy hours at Le Bar. For more information please contact Sofitel Washington D.C. at Lafayette Square at (202) 730-8800.
- Sofitel Philadelphia celebrates Wine Days with the Sofitel French Wine Fair on Oct. 8, featuring hors d’oeuvres and a specialty cheese station; the hotel will offer guests a Champagne brunch on Oct. 18 as well. Additionally, Sofitel Philadelphia has teamed up with Vince Camuto to host an exclusive in-store Wine & Fashion VIP event on Oct. 22. Through the duration of Wine Days, guests can enjoy samples of wine in the lobby from 4:30-6:30 p.m., as well as a special offer at Liberte for a wine flight and cheese pairing. For more information please contact Sofitel Philadelphia at (215) 569-8300.
- Sofitel Miami kicks off Wine Days with daily Happy Hour on Sept. 21 at Le Bar from 5:00-7:00 p.m. Special programs are offered throughout the month, including Tasty Treats & Wine on Oct. 7 featuring desserts and wine pairings from South America; Champagne Garden Cocktail Party on Oct. 21; and Witch Wine is Which, a Halloween-themed VIP dinner on Oct.30. For more information please contact Sofitel Miami at (305) 264-4888.
- Sofitel Montreal Golden Mile will provide guests with daily, Wine Days cocktails at Le Bar from LBV Wines, including Riesling and Bordeaux, as well as Moët & Chandon presentations in the hotel lobby. 5@7 on the Renoir Patio will take place on Oct.1 and 8, featuring ambassadors such as Chapoutier, Villa Maria and Errazuriz Syrah wines. Special menus prepared by Chef Olivier Perret will be offered from Oct. 12 to 17, pairing French cuisine with high-end Canadian wines and French cheeses. For more information please contact Sofitel Montreal Golden Mile at (514) 285-9000.
- Wine is the leading alcoholic drink (apart from beer) consumed worldwide, with 76 percent of all interviewees consuming wine — 89 percent of which were Chinese respondents.
- France is the first country that comes to mind when someone mentions fine wines.
- Enjoy fine wine with cheese. For example, Brillat-Savarin with Champagne, Brie de Meaux with Beaujolais, Comté with Coté de Provence rosé, or event Camembert with cider.