National Martini Day is coming up June 19, and Bloom Plant Based Kitchen in Chicago has a unique take on the classic: A Chicago Hot Dog Martini. Bloom’s general manager Brett Lander created the cocktail this spring, achieving the signature hot dog flavor with yellow mustard bitters and tomato-infused sweet vermouth, along with cocktail onion, pickle juice and celery bitters.
The cocktail, which uses both gin and vodka, promises to take drinkers right to Wrigley Field for a Friday 1:20 p.m. first pitch. Ironically, Bloom is a vegan establishment, so it’s recently been calling the specialty Martini the Chicago Not Dog. Here’s the recipe.
Chicago Hot Dog Martini
- 1 oz. Vodka
- 1 oz. Gin
- ½ oz. Pickle juice
- ½ oz. Tomato-infused sweet vermouth
- 2 splashes Yellow mustard bitters
- 2 splashes Orange bitters
- A sprinkle of Celery bitters
- Combine ingredients in a mixing tin and shake.
- Strain into a Martini glass.
- Garnish with a pickle and cocktail onion.