This gin-based fall/holiday drink incorporates sherry and a sweet potato syrup.
- 1 ½ oz. Wonderbird No. 61gin
- ½ oz. Manzanilla or fino sherry
- ½ oz. Sweet potato syrup*
- 4 dashes Angostura bitters
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing glass with ice.
- Stir and strain into a coupe or Martini glass.
- Garnish with an orange peel.
Bake a large sweet potato at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes. Add to a saucepan with 2 cups brown sugar; 1 ½ cups water; 2 tsps. Cinnamon or 1 cinnamon stick;1 whole star anise; and 2 whole cloves. Simmer until all the sugar is dissolved, lightly press the sweet potatoes to break them up a touch. Cut the mixture to the lowest setting for 10-15 minutes then kill the heat. Allow the syrup to steep for at least 30 minutes and up to an hour. Fine strain; refrigerate for up to two weeks. The mixologists at Wonderbird created this recipe.