The Distilled Spirits Council of the U.S. today announced the formation of DISCUS Foundation, the association’s new 501(c)(3) charitable arm.
This will operate exclusively for charitable purposes in support of the betterment of the distilled spirits industry, according to the association.
The DISCUS Foundation will support the sector by:
- Providing education scholarships that support personal and business development within the industry to bolster the growth of a diverse talent pipeline
- Increase awareness and adoption of industry sustainability best practices
- Increase opportunities and funding for diverse distilleries and promote diversity across all levels of employment across the industry
- Promote social responsibility and advertising guidelines best practices to educate consumers and businesses on responsible consumption
- Support the industry’s continued growth in U.S. and global markets
“As the leading voice and advocate for distilled spirits in the United States, DISCUS is uniquely positioned to set the industry standard for giving back to our communities, rising leaders and consumers,” says Chris Swonger, president and CEO of DISCUS and Responsibility.org. “The DISCUS Foundation will serve as our industry’s standard-bearer when it comes to providing funds to support the betterment of our sector through nurturing our future workforce, enhancing sustainable practices, promoting diversity and supporting the growth of our great spirits industry.”
Financial donations to the DISCUS Foundation are tax-deductible, and can be applied to a specific initiative or to the general fund.
Donations applied to the scholarship fund will help aspiring industry leaders deepen their knowledge, expand their skill sets and secure the sector’s future success, the association says.
The organization begins accepting scholarship applications August 1.
To make a donation or for more information, visit discusfoundation.org.
This follows recent news of DISCUS electing a new chair and vice chair.