A festive Day of the Dead pop-up bar, Coctelería de los Muertos, opened its doors in New York at bar and grocery The Garret Coctelería on Oct. 5. The pop-up is operated by Den Hospitality, the team behind the city’s Bandits and the Garret bars.
- Weeping in Queens (white rum, pumpkin puree, orange bell pepper, cane, pumpkin spice rum, peach preserves)
- Certified Sad Boy (reposado tequila, tamarind, pineapple two ways, honey bitters, hibiscus drizzle for a “blood” effect)
- Abrete Sesamo (mezcal, cachaca, tomatillo, poblano, cucumber, lime, coconut, chamoy smoked salt, sesame)
- Cob Ross (whiskey, corn 3 ways, honey bitters)
- Barry Marigold (tequila, pimento dam, carrot, toasted pumpkin seeds, Mexican oregano, lime)
Coctelería de los Muertos includes custom-built altars honoring dearly departed artistic icons such as Marilyn Monroe, The Notorious B.I.G., Jimi Hendrix, Amy Winehouse and more. The pop-up also boasts more than 5,000 feet of marigold flowers, an abundance of candles, string lights, and bright blankets to keep outdoor diners warm.