Trust restaurant in San Diego recently unveiled a cocktail menu collection celebrating one of the city’s most picturesque spots, Balboa Park. The restaurant is located a few blocks away from the 1,200-acre park, which is over 150 years old and home to an array of lush gardens, more than 16 museums, the world-famous San Diego Zoo and more.
Trust bar manager Jessica Stewart took inspiration from Balboa Park’s colorful flora, signature buildings and gathering places, and translated her vision into a series of cocktails that pay homage to the San Diego landmark. Each cocktail paints a drinkable picture and invites diners to tour the park through vibrantly garnished glasses.
Trust’s Balboa Park drink collection includes:
· House of Charm (shown above right, with reposado tequila, lime, yuzu, Fresno chilis, lava salt): spicy and tart, the drink is made with yuzu and Fresno chilies that develop a unique balance and invigorate the senses.
· Zoo Place (shown above left, with mezcal, bitter bianco, dry vermouth, hibiscus): bitter and sweet, this Negroni variation is infused with hibiscus tea.
· Florida Canyon (gin, grapefruit, lemon, lavender, maraschino): mixes Gin, Grapefruit, Lemon, Lavender, and Maraschino for a light and refreshing sipping experience.
· Old Globe (rye whiskey, honey thyme gomme, bitters): delivering a sense of classic comfort with Rye, Honey Thyme Gomme, and bitters.
· Reflection Pond (Japanese vodka, lemon, Persian cucumber, matcha, soda): The combination of Persian cucumber and matcha tea to create a refreshing cocktail that’s perfect for summertime patio sipping.
· Friendship Garden (Maker’s Mark, lemon, strawberry, Aperol, toasted sesame): inspired by the Friendship Garden in Balboa Park bringing two cultures together, Bourbon and toasted sesame are combined with strawberries, lemon, and Aperol taking a savory twist on a whiskey sour.
Priced from $13 to $15, the Balboa Park-inspired cocktails Wednesday through Sunday from 5 p.m. to 10 p.m. Here’s the full recipe for the Palm Grove, a Daiquiri riff offering complementary flavors of tropical pineapple and earthy sage.
- 2 oz. Rum
- ¾ oz. Sage syrup
- 1 oz. Pineapple juice
- ¾ oz. Lime juice
- Combine all ingredients into a shaker and shake.
- Pour into a double Old Fashioned glass.
- Garnish with a sprig of sage.