There’s no time to recover from Halloween celebrations, as Día de los Muertos — or Day of the Dead — comes right after. The Mexican holiday honoring dearly departed friends and relatives is most definitely time for a cocktail, especially one made with tequila, mezcal or bacanora. Here are eight recipes we like for this year.
- 2 parts Mijenta blanco tequila
- ¾ part Strawberry or hibiscus syrup
- 1 part Fresh lime juice
- ¼ part Creme de cacao
- Shake all ingredients vigorously with plenty of ice.
- Strain into a coupe or Martini glass.
- Garnish with edible flowers.
Wake Of The Dead
- 4 oz. Cold-brew coffee
- 1 ½ oz. Santo Mezquila
- ½ oz. Triple sec
- ½ oz. Maple syrup
- Pinch of Salt
- Combine all ingredients in shaker tin.
- Shake with ice.
- Pour directly into tall glass.
- Garnish with orange and marigold.
Día de los Muertos Margarita
- 2 parts Hornitos plata or reposado tequila
- 1 part Orange juice
- ½ part Lime juice
- ¾ part Honey syrup
- Put equal parts salt and chili powder on a plate.
- Use an orange or lime wedge to wet the rim of the glass, and gently roll it into the salt/chili powder.
- Combine cocktail ingredients into a cocktail shaker with ice.
- Shake and strain into your rimmed rocks glass over fresh ice.
- Garnish with orange wheel and edible marigold.
- 1 ½ oz. Astral Tequila Blanco
- 1 ½ oz. Fresh grapefruit juice
- ½ oz. Fresh lime juice
- ½ oz. Cinnamon-agave syrup
- Prep a rocks glass with a salt rim and fill with ice.
- Combine all ingredients into a cocktail shaker, add ice.
- Shake and strain into the ice-filled rocks glass.
- Garnish with a grapefruit slice.
- 1 ⅓ oz. Kilinga Bacanora Blanco
- 2 oz. Beet juice
- 1 ⅓ oz. Spicy infusion*
- 1 piece Pineapple
- Combine ingredients in a shaker tin, add ice and shake.
- Pour into a frosted talavera (or crystal) glass with ice.
- Garnish with dehydrated pineapple and chili.
Meet Me At The Altar
- 1 oz. Cítrico citrus gin
- 1 oz. Nativo herbal gin
- 1 oz. Lemon
- ¾ oz. Ofrenda orgeat*
- 1 dash Absinthe
- 1 dash Mole bitters
- Add all ingredients in tin and shake with ice.
- Double strain into coupe glass.
- Garnish with micro flowers or marigold petals.
- 2 parts Del Maguey Vida Single Village Mezcal
- 1 part Pierre Ferrand Dry Curaçao
- 1 part Maurin Quina
- 4 dashes Orange bitters per serving
- Combine ingredients in a mixing glass filled with ice and stir.
- Strain into a chilled cocktail glass.
- Garnish with a wide swath of orange peel.
- 1 ⅓ oz. Kilinga Bacanora Silvestre
- 1 oz. Agave syrup or simple syrup
- ¾ oz. Lime juice
- 1 ½ oz. Grapefruit juice
- ½ tbsp. Activated charcoal
- Combine ingredients in a mixing tin and shake.
- Pour into an Old Fashioned glass with ice.
- Garnish with salt rim and dehydrated grapefruit.