Forget Frosé. Eighty-six the Aperol Spritz. Can the Cosmo comeback. This summer is all about The Dirty Shirley, at least according to some folks.
Others may scoff at the spiked Shirley Temple — a mix of vodka, grenadine, lemon-lime soda (Sprite or 7up) and maraschino cherry garnish – but it’s been popping up on menus everywhere lately. The trend has prompted some spirit brands restaurants, bars and hotels to create their own versions.
For instance, Black Infusions recommends mixing 2 ½ oz. of its Dark Cherry vodka with ¼ oz. freshly squeezed lime juice and ginger ale, with a Luxardo cherry and mint sprig garnish. The brand also has a Dirty Shirley RTD.
Ready-to-drink spice soda maker Ouli suggests its Pink Peppercorn lemon soda with vodka and grenadine. The soda incorporates hints of cracked pink pepper, tart lemon and crushed elderberries for a less-syrupy Shirley.
Not a big fan of vodka? Hendrick’s Gin brand ambassador Mattias Horseman offers up the Don’t Call Me Shirley (shown atop), with 2 parts Hendrick’s Gin, ¼ part Luxardo Maraschino cherry juice or grenadine, ¼ part orange liqueur, topped with Fever-Tree lemon tonic and garnished with a squeeze of lemon, a fresh cherry and cucumber slices.
Here are a few more Dirty Shirley riffs shared by some high-end hotels around the country.
The Shirley T Black-Berry Wine Spritz
- 1 ½ oz. Grey Goose vodka
- 1 ½ oz. Blackberry syrup
- Juice of ½ a lime
- La Crema pinot noir
- Combine all ingredients in shaker of ice.
- Shake until chilled (30 seconds).
- Strain into Collins glass filled with ice, fill with ginger ale, leave ¼ inch from top. With the back of dinner spoon, pour pinot noir to float on top of drink.
- Garnish with a chocolate truffle and blackberry on cocktail pick, lime wheel on rim of glass and a sprig of fresh thyme.
Shirley T. Black Tea
- 1 ½ oz. Vodka
- ½ oz. Lemon juice
- ½ oz. Bordeaux cherry syrup
- ½ oz. Simple syrup
- Sprig of Rosemary muddled
- Strong iced black tea
- Combine ingredients (except tea) in a shaker and shake.
- Strain into ice-filled glass.
- Top with a float of iced black tea.
- Garnish with cherry and rosemary.
The Shirley Povich
- 1 ½ oz. Tito’s Vodka
- ¾ oz. Pomegranate syrup
- Topped with Ginger beer
- Combine vodka and pomegranate syrup in a shaker with ice and shake.
- Pour into glass with ice.
- Top with ginger beer.
- Garnish with a brandied cherry.
- 1 ½ oz. Black-cherry-infused Absolut Elyx vodka
- ½ oz. Luxardo maraschino liqueur
- ½ oz. Lime juice
- ½ oz. Cane syrup
- Top with splash of Fever Tree club soda
- Combine ingredients (except soda) in a shaker with ice and shake.
- Pour into a glass and top with a splash of soda.
- Garnish with a Luxardo cherry on skewer.