September is for more than bourbon hunting.
Scotch-lovers, too, have reason to anticipate this season of limited releases. Diageo today unveiled its 2020 Special Releases Single Malt Scotch Whisky Collection.
The annual collection explores unusual age points and experimental maturation techniques. Comprised of eight rare bottlings in 2020, this collection is all cask strength. This year includes the first-ever Special Release finished in pot-still Caribbean rum casks. The collection also carries a theme of “Rare by Nature,” meant to highlight the nature that surrounds the distilleries:
- Pittyvaich, from the Speyside ghost distillery, finished in first fill ex-bourbon casks
- A Highland expression of Dalwhinnie matured in refill hogshead casks filled in 1989
- The best of Isle of Skye, Talisker, finished in pot-still Caribbean rum casks
- The stalwart Lagavulin, an expression of this Islay distillery’s character
Overall, the collection includes:
- Cardhu 11-Year-Old
- Cragganmore 20-Year-Old
- Dalwhinnie 30-Year-Old
- Lagavulin 12-Year-Old
- Mortlach 21-Year-Old
- Pittyvaich 30-Year-Old
- Talisker 8-Year-Old
- The Singleton of Dufftown 17-Year-Old
The 2020 Special Releases collection will be available in limited quantities at retailers and malts.com this Autumn.
“I’ve created this year’s Special Releases Collection from some of my favorite distilleries across Scotland, with whisky enthusiasts in mind,” says Diageo Master Blender Dr. Craig Wilson. “For those who enjoy spicy flavours, my recommendation would be to try our Cardhu, and for those who favour rich, intense and smooth flavours my choice would be Mortlach 21 year old. If you are curious about discovering something very rare, the Pittyvaich — the single ghost distillery in our Special Releases Collection this year — is an unforgettable dram.”