Renowned spirits writer Jim Murray has named Colonel E.H. Taylor 4 Grain Bottled in Bond Aged 12 as the World Whisky of the Year in his Whisky Bible 2018 edition.
Every year Murray releases his comprehensive book that rates and reviews the world’s top whiskeys.
The best-of-2018 bottling from Buffalo Trace gives a nod to the four grains – corn, rye, wheat and malted barley – that bourbon pioneer Colonel E.H. Taylor worked with back in the 19th century. Murray scored the release 97.5 out of 100, noting that the spirit boasts a “slow, lightly oiled, gently spiced chocolate fade which goes on…and on.”
Buffalo Trace recently discovered the long-lost remains of Col. Taylor’s iconic O.F.C distillery, which stood on the same spot in Frankfort, Kentucky, until ravaged by fire in 1872. The company has now launchttp://cheersonline.com/2016/10/19/buffalo-trace-finds-foundation-from-1873-distillery/hed tours of what has been dubbed ‘Bourbon Pompeii’.
With over 1,200 new whiskies tasted for the latest edition of the international guide, the Col. Taylor faced stiff competition from European rivals to claim the top award.
The Second Finest Whisky of the Year went to Redbreast Aged 21 Years, the best result for an Irish entrant in Whisky Bible history and only the second time the Emerald Isle has made the top three. The whiskey scored 97 out of 100, earning praise from Murray for “one of the most wonderful noses on this planet” which helps make it “one of the world’s most beautiful and iconic whisk(e)ys”.
On the podium again is the Glen Grant Aged 18 Years Rare Edition, which is named Third Finest following its second-place finish in 2017, also with 97 points.
Sectional winners include: Crown Royal Northern Harvest Rye (Canadian Whiskey of the Year); The Norfolk Parched from St George’s (European); Nikka Coffey Malt Whisky (Japanese); Paul John Kanya (Asian) and Limeburner’s Dark Winter (Southern Hemisphere).
Below is the full list of winners:
- Scotch Whisky of the year Glen Grant Aged 18 Years Rare Edition
- Single Malt of the year (Multiple Casks) Glen Grant Aged 18 years Rare Edition
- Single Malt of the year (Single Cask) Cadenhead’s Glendullan 20 Year Old
- Scotch Blend of the year Compass Box The Double Single
- Scotch Grain of the year Cambus Aged 40 Years
- Scotch Vatted Malt of the year Compass Box 3 Year Old Deluxe
- Single Malt Scotch no Age Statement (Multiple Casks) Ardbeg Corryvreckan
- 10 years & Under (Multiple Casks) Glen Grant Aged 10 years
- 10 years & Under (Single Cask) Scotch Malt Whisky Society Tomatin Cask 11.32 8 Year Old
- 11-15 years (Multiple Casks) Gordon & MacPhail Ardmore 2002
- 11-15 years (Single Cask) That Boutique-y Co. Clynelish 15 year Old
- 16-21 years (Multiple Casks) Glen Grant Aged 18 years Rare Edition
- 16-21 years (Single Cask) The First Editions Ardmore Aged 20 Years
- 22-27 years (Multiple Casks) Sansibar Whisky Glen Moray 25 years Old
- 22-27 years (Single Cask) Hunter Laing’s Old & Rare Auchentoshan 24 Year Old
- 28-34 years (Multiple Casks) Glen Castle Aged 28 years
- 28-34 years (Single Cask) Old Particular Glenturret 28 Year Old
- 35-40 years (Multiple Casks) Brora Aged 38 years
- 35-40 years (Single Cask) Xtra Old Particular Caol Ila 36 Year Old
- 41 years & Over (Multiple Casks) Gordon & MacPhail Glen Grant 1957
- No Age Statement (Standard) Ballantine’s Finest
- No Age Statement (Premium) Compass Box The Double Single
- 5-12 years Grant’s Aged 12 Years 13-18 years Ballantine’s Aged 17 Years
- 19 – 25 years Royal Salute 21 Years Old
- 26 – 50 years The Antiquary Aged 35 Years
- Irish Whiskey of the year Redbreast Aged 21 Years
- Irish Pot Still Whiskey of the year Redbreast Aged 21 Years
- Irish Single Malt of the year Bushmills 16 Year Old
- Irish Blend of the year Bushmills Black Bush
- Irish Single Cask of the year Dunville’s VR First Edition Aged 15 Years
- Bourbon of the year Colonel E.H. Taylor Four Grain
- Rye of the year Thomas H. Handy Sazerac 126.2 Proof
- US Micro Whisky of the year Balcone’s Texas Blue Corn Batch BCB 16-1
- US Micro Whisky of the year (Runner Up) 291 E Colorado Aged 333 Days
- no Age Statement (Multiple Barrels) George T. Stagg 144.1 Proof
- 9 years & Under Buffalo Trace Experimental Collection Organic 6 Grain Whisky
- 10 years & Over (Multiple Barrels) Colonel E.H. Taylor Four Grain
- No Age Statement Thomas H. Handy Sazerac 126.2 Proof
- Up to 10 years Pikesville 110 Proof
- 11 years & Over Sazerac 18 Years Old
- Wheat Whiskey of the year Bernheim Original
- Canadian Whisky of the year Crown Royal Northern Harvest Rye
- Japanese Whisky of the year Nikka Coffey Malt Whisky
- Single Malt of the year (Multiple Barrels) Nikka Coffey Malt Whisky
- European Whisky of the year (Multiple) Penderyn Bryn Terfel (Wales)
- European Whisky of the year (Single) The norfolk Parched (England)
- Asian Whisky of the year Paul John Kanya (India)
- Southern Hemisphere Whisky of the year Limeburner’s Dark Winter (Australia)